Saturday 11 October 2014

What Does It Do? - The Wide Target Man

By Luke - The Football Manager Addicts and Luke's Stories of An FM Addict


Before I get going today I'd just like to apologise for not blogging much recently; I just haven't a had chance to spend some time on one!

Welcome to thee eighth blog of 'What Does It Do?'! My blog series was set up because I had been getting a growing number of requests to talk about how tactics work on Football Manager and insights into what I'm thinking when I'm making my wacky formations!

Today I'll be talking about 'The Wide Target Man'...

What is it?

 
A 'Wide Target Man' is basically a big striker who has been shifted out into the wide area's to terrorise a small full-back.
 
The idea is that they stick right on the flank of choice, near the defender in question; hold up the ball and play it onto the onrushing forwards (or midfielders).
 
A well known example of a WTM in use would be Romelu Lukaku against Arsenal. Roberto Martinez, current Everton gaffer, deployed his powerful striker on the right so he would face up against the often timid "Nacho" Monreal. (The Match I Speak About...)
 
Romelu Lukaku



Miles will love you!

 
Miles Jacobson (Studio Director at FM) is a Watford fan - take that as you will - and a player he seems to mention a lot is Troy Deeney; my ultimate WTM!
 
Troy Deeney, and all other players with similar attributes, is such a good Wide Target Man is that he is:
  1. Reasonably quick,
  2. Strong,
  3. Good in the air and
  4. Work hard.

Those 4 attributes are all that you really need for a Wide Target Man to be successful!

Troy Deeney - Why not!?
 

 Applying the role!

 
Using a WTM isn't difficult at all - there are only two things I recommend you do...
  1. Instruct your team to 'Clear To The Flanks'
  2. To play with a poacher
The reasoning behind this is that you can use this role in practically any shape and be successful!
 

That's all for now I'll be back next Monday at five!


Before I go. If you want to keep up to date with all things AYO, FM Lord Chris and me: go and like or subscirbe to our other ventures!
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment