Sunday 31 August 2014

What Does It Do? - The Sweeper Keeper

By Luke - The Football Manager Addicts and Luke's Stories of An FM Addict


Welcome to the seventh blog of 'What Does It Do?'! My blog series was set up because I had been getting a growing number of requests to talk about how tactics work on Football Manager and insights into what I'm thinking when I'm making my wacky formations!

Today I'm going to talk about how to deploy a 'sweeper keeper'!

Football Manager's Definition!

 
'The Sweeper Keeper aims to perform two roles, those of a standard goal keeper and those of an outfield sweeper.
 
Alongside normal goalkeeping duties, he will sweep up balls in front of and wide of the penalty area and initiate counter-attacking moves with direct through balls to breaking players.'
 

My Defintion...

 
A Sweeper Keeper's role is to be a 'keeper and just a little extra! Your SK must be good on the ball, confident, quick (or strong) and be able to read the game.
 
He will have a slightly higher starting point than a usual keeper; it is this that enables him to charge out and break up attacks (much like a defender).
 

Real Life Example's!

 
Well when we're talking about Sweeper Keeper's the conversation starts and ends with Luke James! However, on a more serious note, your next best thing is Manuel Neuer!
 
 
Not only is Neuer a phenomenal shot stopper; he is a fully rounded footballer! He can read the game like a man 10 years his senior, he is very quick and most importantly good on the ball. The German number one is constantly outside his box passing and clearing the ball to help his side. He tends to also crop up with the occasional diving header...
 

In-Game Example's...

 
I find that there aren't many Sweeper Keepers on this years game unless you have one of the best young 'keepers. Courtois, Neuer and Ter-Stegen all perform the role brilliantly but apart from them I'd look at regens (a lot).
 

When To Use?

 
You can use a Sweeper Keeper in any formation or strategy. However they work the best when you have a slow defence: because players will look to play balls in behind!
 



JOB DONE!



That's all for now I'll be back next Monday at five!

Before I go. If you want to keep up to date with all things AYO, FM Lord Chris and me: go and like or subscirbe to our other ventures!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment